Monday, November 8, 2010

Still life.

For my still life, I knew I wanted to do something music related. Initially, I just had kind of a mental image of a well lit turntable. As I started to think about it more, I thought about trying to show visually the differences between analog (turntable w/ record) and digital (iPod) forms of music, mostly just by how I would light each.

DSC_9828

ISO: 200
Aperture: f/14.0
Shutter speed: 2.5"
Focal length: 300mm

To light the turntable, I put a soft box on one of the strobes and left the modeling light on and used a slow shutter speed.

DSC_9871

ISO: 200
Aperture: f/14.0
Shutter speed: 1"
Focal length: 70mm

To light the iPod and headphones, I flashed one of the strobes with a soft box on it placed quite close to the table. I always find that the strobes give kind of a cold, harsh light that I'm not a huge fan of and I decided to use that to my advantage.

Outtakes:

DSC_9815

DSC_9822

DSC_9811

3 comments:

  1. These are beautifully lit. Very elegant looking. The touch of amber color adds to the old, warm feel of the analogy process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Ben. I agree with Kathleen I love the amber color. My favorite is the third photo though. It displays more of the turn table and you get more of a feel for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the streak of warm light in the third one, which i smy favorite

    ReplyDelete